Friday, May 16, 2008

Mini Fudge Cupcakes

AKA Blue Bonnet's Fudge Pie
From What's cooking at the Bluebonnet Cafe

(Be sure to read my notes at the bottom of the recipe!)

6ozs butter (1-1/2 sticks! Yes, I know that's a lot of butter! But it's worth it!)
3-1oz squares unsweetened chocolate

1/2 cup flour
3 eggs, beaten
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt

Melt chocolate and butter together over low heat. Mix remaining ingredients together in a separate bowl. Gradually pour in the melted chocolate and butter while mixing. After mixture is well-beaten, **pour into an unbaked 9-inch pie shell.

Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes.

**No matter what I did, this recipe just does not work well for me in pie form. I've tried both conventional and convection settings on my oven, and 35-40 minutes is just not long enough. The pie is still very "liquidy" after that amount of time. To get it cooked enough, I've had to turn up the temperature a lot higher and bake the pie nearly twice as long, which is rather time-consuming.

My solution was to make mini cupcakes! I happened to have 4 of the mini muffin tins on hand already, so I put papers in them and filled them up. (Using 2 large spoons for this part works well, because the batter tends to thicken very quickly after it cools.)

Bake these cupcakes at 325° for 15 minutes, and they are perfect! I put all 4 tins in the oven at once and it works out perfectly. If you try other methods for baking this batter, please let me know what works for you!

No comments: